Friday, June 11, 2010

Triple F

It's Friday again and that means time for your random Fun Fact!

I've been thinking a lot about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico lately, as I'm sure you all have. I cannot imagine the absolute destruction that it must be doing to all of the water and wildlife in the area. It really breaks my heart when I see the pictures of the birds and fish covered in oil, and I must admit I've shed a couple of tears here and there.
I've also thought about how far the oil will go... Since we all know that oil floats on top of water, I started thinking about the depth of the Gulf of Mexico. According to www.gulfbase.org, "the Sigsbee Deep, located in the southwestern quadrant, is the deepest region of the Gulf of Mexico. Its exact maximum depth is controversial, and reports by different authors state maximum depths ranging from 3,750 m to 4,384 m." That's 12,303 to 14,383 feet, folks!!! I don't know about you but I definitely don't want to ever go down that far in the ocean (even if we could)...

That's your Fun Fact for the week! Enjoy your weekend and Save the Gulf!!

No comments: